Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Happy Icy Mardi Gras

Some time in the middle of the night, it began to rain and because the temperatures were below 32 degrees that rain was mixed with sleet, freezing rain, and ice.  This part of Louisiana was under a Winter Weather Advisory until 4:00p.m. and then more cold rain for the rest of the evening. Most of the small communities canceled their Mardi Gras celebrations.  We are very disappointed.  We were looking forward to experiencing the prairie or country-style Mardi Gras.  The large communities like Lafayette and New Orleans had their parades.  The weatherman said that this is the fourth time this winter Louisiana has had ice and the first time that he knew about that there was ice on Mardi Gras Day.  Parts of I-10 including in this area and the big bridge were closed until the temps warm up.

When Sandy and I stepped out to walk, I neglected to check the steps on the camper.  I took my first step and found myself at the bottom on my bottom.  Only my back had contact with the other two steps.  Carol heard the commotion but it was too late to help.  Had I looked before I stepped, I would have noticed that the steps were covered with ice.  Because it was cold, I had five layers on (turtleneck, sweatshirt, hooded sweatshirt, Illini jacket, and raincoat).  I think this must have saved me because I was able to get up, had no broken bones, and Sandy and I went for our walk.  We went to Walmart for a few things.  I spent some time with my computer expert (Peggy) and other then that we stayed in and stayed dry.  Hopefully, tomorrow we can get out a little more.    I am going to post several pictures of the ice.
This picture looks like it was taken in Illinois instead of Louisiana.

Don had to scrape his car before he went out for the daily paper

It wasn't fit out for man or beast so beast spent the day sleeping in an easy chair.

Our truck covered with ice.

Inside the truck looking out.

Trees with their coat of ice.







No comments:

Post a Comment