Tuesday, October 8, 2013

In Memory of Mom

Virginia Rose McPeak Freeman
August 8, 1920-October 5, 2013

Tomorrow, October 9, 2013, Carol and I will take our annual two-week trip to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana.  Today, at her funeral,  we celebrated the life of my mom who loved to travel and passed on that love to me.  Four
times I have been to Turkey Run with mom.  The first time I was a kid and my family had been on a camping trip and spent a night there.  The second time as an adult Carol, me and the kids camped a few days in our new pop-up camper with mom and dad. The third and final time mom and I camped there for a few days in the fall after my father died in 1994.  Things have come full circle as Carol and I return to Turkey Run.

The last four weeks of her life mom was very, very sick and the family could see that soon mom would be reunited in heaven with my dad and a baby sister who had died.  On Wednesday before she died on Saturday, mom and I returned to Turkey Run for the fourth time through pictures that had been taken the previous year.  She had two hours of being clear and focused and we enjoyed Turkey Run again.  Following those two sweet hours, mom took a nap and when she woke, she was back to being disoriented, unfocused and remained that way until her death.

I will miss her physical presence but memories are a blessing from The Lord and, thanks to mom, I have so many, many memories of Turkey Run and other trips Carol and I have taken.  That love of traveling has its roots in my mom, "Miss Rose."  Thanks, mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment